Dr. Sahar Aboudan of Sahar Aboudan Pediatrics is here for you in Jacksonville, FL, if your child is experiencing pink eye.
What is pink eye?
Conjunctivitis, or pink eye, can be caused by bacteria, viruses, or allergens in the eye. Viral and bacterial conjunctivitis are very contagious. Viral conjunctivitis often occurs with a common cold or respiratory infection. Bacterial conjunctivitis is the most contagious and most common in children. It can often occur with an ear infection.
Whatever the cause, symptoms of pink eye are similar:
- Red or pink color in the whites of the eyes
- Increased tear production
- Swelling of the eye
- Itching or burning sensation
- Crusting on the eyelids and eyelashes
Why is it so contagious?
Pink eye can spread by touch, through the air, or by touching a surface with germs on it and then touching the eyes. If your child has pink eye, they must wash their hands frequently and refrain from touching their eyes.
Some more precautions you can take if you or a child has pink eye:
- Washing sheets, pillowcases, washcloths, and towels
- Avoid sharing personal items (towels, bedding, makeup, eye drops)
- If you have an infected and a non-infected eye, don't use the same products for both eyes
- Stop wearing your contact lenses until cleared by a doctor
When do I call the pediatrician?
Newborns with symptoms of conjunctivitis should see a doctor right away. Contact your Jacksonville, FL, pediatrician at Sahar Aboudan Pediatrics. If you or a child has pink eye, you can use cold compresses and eye drops to relieve some of the dryness and inflammation that come along with the pink eye.
Look out for these potentially dangerous signs:
- Eye pain
- Sensitivity to light or blurred vision
- Intense redness of the eyes
- Symptoms that don't improve or get worse
Call your doctor if symptoms persist or you notice any of the symptoms above. Your pediatrician may prescribe antiviral or antibiotic medication, depending on the cause of the pink eye. Your doctor will recommend careful practices to not spread pink eye, as it can take up to two weeks to clear up completely.
Sahar Aboudan Pediatrics is here for you in Jacksonville, FL, if you or a child is experiencing pink eye. Call us at (904) 260-3609.