Welcoming your newborn baby into the world requires plenty of preparation—and understandably, the process can be overwhelming, but it's important to prioritize finding the right pediatrician for you and your baby. Fortunately, Dr. Sahar Aboudan of Sahar Aboudan Pediatrics in Jacksonville, FL, offers a few helpful guidelines to follow when searching for the best newborn doctor for you and your family.
Beginning the Search
If you're preparing for your first child, or are looking to find a new pediatrician, you may find yourself overwhelmed by the prospect of finding the right doctor. That's why it's generally recommended to start looking as early as your third trimester.
In order to begin your search during the last few months of your pregnancy, you may find it helpful to receive recommendations from those your trust. This could be from your family, friends, doctors (e.g. primary care physician, OB/GYN, etc.), and others around you that you find reliable. By asking around, your search will likely become far less daunting.
With your compiled list of pediatricians, it's time to consider what you believe to be essential characteristics, services, and other logistics, in your child's doctor.
Researching for your newborn doctor in Jacksonville, FL, can be simplified when you consider the following questions:
- What experience and certifications do they have?—In other words, knowing where they attended medical school, how long they have been practicing, if they can provide specific care that your baby may need, etc.
- Do they accept your insurance?
- Are they affiliated with any hospitals?—If they are, you may want them present post-birth to ensure your baby is healthy and that the care they provide is what you were hoping for. In cases of needing pediatric services post-birth, are they able to visit the hospital you are at to provide the care your baby needs?
- Do they have any particular beliefs about specific services you may want them to provide?—You'll want to be familiar with your newborn doctor's principles behind vaccines, breastfeeding, formula-feeding, circumcision, potty training, etc.
- What does their availability look like?—Do they have extended hours to provide you with support for any questions you might have about their sleep, feeding, or any other concerns that arise. Are you able to schedule an appointment day-of if your baby develops a cough or a fever?
You may have additional aspects in mind that are important to you, so scheduling an in-person visit or asking questions over-the-phone will give you a better understanding of your potential newborn doctor.
Making Your Choice
When you consider the specific questions and aspects that Dr. Aboudan suggests, choosing your newborn doctor in Jacksonville, FL, can be straightforward. Consider Sahar Aboudan Pediatrics, and give our office a call today, at (904) 260-3609 to ask any questions you may have.