Wondering whether your child requires a sports physical?
It’s so important for all kids to get regular exercise. We all know the health benefit associated with physical activity, and kids need at least one hour a day. If your child has decided that they want to start playing school or community sports, then you’re going to need to turn to our Jacksonville FL pediatrician Dr. Sahar Aboudan before the season begins to get a sport physical. Just contact the office of Sahar Aboudan Pediatrics to set up an appointment.
What is the purpose of a sports physical?
A sports and school physicals in Jacksonville is a comprehensive checkup with your child’s doctor that allows our pediatrician to be able to detect potentially serious conditions that could be impacted or made worse by certain activities. Most schools here in Jacksonville FL will require children to get a sports physical before they participate in sports. By getting a sports physical, we can protect children from potentially dangerous health problems so all they have to worry about is making that goal.
What goes into a sports and school physical in Jacksonville?
There are many components to sports physical. Here’s what to expect when you bring your child into our office for a sports physical:
- We will go through your child’s medical history and also ask questions about family medical history
- If your child is experiencing any symptoms like shortness of breath or extreme fatigue after working out, this is the time to talk about these symptoms with your pediatrician
- Your child’s height, weight, and vital signs will be monitored and recorded
- Your child will undergo a full physical examination in which we check their heart and lung function, as well as their spinal alignment, joints, mobility, and reflexes
- We can provide recommendations and advice on proper sleep habits, dietary needs, and more
The point of the sports physical is to look for everything from asthma symptoms to spinal problems or even undiagnosed past injuries that could cause issues for your child during physical activity. By detecting these issues early on we can help them manage them more effectively through proper training techniques, medication, or even alternative therapies such as acupuncture or massage therapy. Being in the know when it comes to your child’s health status is paramount to keeping them healthy athletes for life.
Every child should get an annual sports physical, regardless of their health. Make sure to book your child’s sports physical about 4-8 weeks before their training season begins so they don’t miss out. Call Sahar Aboudan Pediatrics in Jacksonville FL at (904) 260-3609 to schedule your child’s sports physical with Dr. Sahar Aboudan.